Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Sixty Acres and A Bride

Hi, all!

This year, due to my love for reading, I decided that I might branch out a little and do some book influencing. When the opportunity arose for me to influence Regina Jennings' latest book, I decided that I'd take the chance. I had read her first two books in the series last year, but decided that I would reread them before I jumped into Caught in the Middle. That in turn led me to my decision to write reviews for each of the books. So on that note, I bring you my review for Sixty Acres and A Bride, the first in The Ladies of Caldwell County series. Hope you enjoy!

About the book: 

With nothing to their names, young widow Rosa Garner and her mother-in-law return to Texas and the family ranch. Only now the county is demanding back taxes and the women have only three months to pay. 

Though facing eviction, Rosa can't keep herself from falling in love with the countryside and the wonderful extended family who want only her best. Learning the American customs is not easy, however, and this beautiful young widow can't help but catch wandering eyes. Where some offer help with dangerous strings attached, only one man seems honorable. But when Weston garner, still grieving his own lost love, is unprepared to give his heart, to what lengths will Rosa go to save her future? 

My review: 

Rosa wants nothing but to be free from her past. She thinks that moving back to Texas with her mother-in-law will help her to be able to move on from the death of her husband and the painful memories it brings. Weston's past is filled with regrets. He thinks that burying himself in running his ranch will help squelch his own painful memories of his wife's death. Rosa is a new Christian striving to please God. Weston is angry at God and can't seem to understand why He would love someone like Weston.

When I first saw this book, I was intrigued by the cover and the fact that this is a more modern telling of the book of Ruth. When I first read it, I enjoyed it. When I read it a second time, I found myself liking it even more! I loved watching Rosa and Weston's stories unfold. All Rosa wanted was to fit in, to belong with her new family, and to be loved. All Weston wants is to protect his family- Rosa included. These two are from completely different worlds, and yet while watching their stories unfold, I saw how similar they were. Both were struggling with pasts they wanted to forget. Both wanted to love and be loved. And both longed to feel forgiven and whole in Christ.

This was a great read, and one that I would definitely recommend! Along with Weston and Rosa, there's a cast of characters who will leave you chuckling, smiling, and even a bit frustrated. But I promise, by the end of the book, you'll want the second one close by!

God bless,

Elyssa =)

*This book was from my own library

No comments:

Post a Comment